Saturday, March 14, 2009

He spoke

I don't remember the last time I've tried to talk to Van. Of course, I may be one of those people he finds bad. I just don't get it. I get along with Darren and Sheine nicely, but when it comes to him, I just shut up.

He was my first seatmate. He'd been my discussion partner in Psychology class on our first session. Among us four, he's the only lefty. He's my seatmate in Eng 101 and Socsci 111. And when were together, the athmospehere is cold. The mood is dead. Van and I are never gonna be civil to each other. I've never been bothered if people resent my personality but it's different with Van. I mean, I'm with him every single day, single hour, single minute. I really don't care if he hates my guts. But If I were to be friends with him, I'd have to talk to him.

More days pass and all I could do was smile at him. He'd smile back, rarely. I was wondering why he's been cold with me since the beginning of the semester. Did I do something to offend him? Is he angry with me for being close with his friends? Would that be it? I decided. I'd confront him. Okay, so my plan is at hand.

1. Be at school early. He's living outside the city and he's the earlybird.
2. Greet him a good morning. It'll give a great feel.
3. Smile [real, this time.]
4. Start the conversation with regard to academics.
example: "Hey Van, you're mom's a math teacher, right? Did she help you answer our math homework?"
Possible answer: "Yes, she is. No, she didn't."
5. Talk about another subject until I can strike him with my goal.
Reading what I've listed on a crumpled piece of yellow paper, I sighed. I thought of the possible reactions he'd give me.
  • "Ah, you mean to say you think I'm aloof? No, I'm still just knowing you after all."
  • "So? I'm not talking to you because i don't like you. Leave me alone."
  • "It doesn't mean that your friends with Sheine and Darren, I'm your friend too. Get lost."
  • "Oh, i'm sorry. I didn't know I was giving you a bad impression. I'm just a little shy."
  • He'll laugh.

Regardless of what will happen. I just have to do it.

The next day was full. Hell yeah, we had a lot of quizzes and I haven't been able to confront him. Now, what'll I do?

"River." Van tapped my shoulder." Got a minute?"

"Why?" I asked.

He didn't reply. He gave me a long piece of paper and written on it was: "There's someone who wants to steal your wit and nobility. Don't worry, he's not scary, but he's deadly."

"Wha-Who?"

When I turned around, he was gone.

1 comment: