Friday, March 13, 2009

Well said

Okay, let's get this straight. Why in the world does Darren have to be envious of River?

  1. I am NOT rich. If not for the scholarship, I wouldn't even be here!
  2. Yes, I rooted from a convent-like school, but hell. I was a scholar!
  3. Smart? I'm confident I can't lose to others, ability-wise. BUT I'm not smart enough for him to be insecure of.

The next day, the four of us, me, Van, Darren, and Sheine, waded our way through the smooth pavement around the College of Engineering and Technology for our Natural Science class. We were a bit early and decided to stop over the covered area where benches and tables were filled of techie stuff. Of course, as an instrument of development, the Must-Not-Be-Named University had this part of school WiFied for student use.

We found a nice spot at the end of the covered area and dumped our things on the table.

"Wah!" I wiped some sweat off my forehead. "Curse it. Why does it have to be on the third floor? The staircases are killing me."
"Ahaha. Hey, at least we'll be able to lose weight." Sheine smiled.

I looked at Van, he didn't respond. My eyes settled on Darren, he was looking at engineering students tinkering their laptops, notebooks, and palm pilots.

"Man, look Riv, Don't you wish we had one of those?" Darren pinched me. "Why don't you ask your grandma for one?"
"Dar, even I don't have that much money." I replied. Van rolled his eyes.
"Huh?" He smiled.

The bell rang. We went to class.

"Class. Environment week starts tomorrow. I need three people for a singing contest." Prof. Ocean said. Darren started singing in a very low voice. I believed he wanted to be nominated.
"It would be a solo and a duet."
"Why don't you join?" I said. "You have a pretty good voice."
"Maybe." He giggled.

Fairy Dein got the solo spot, as for the duet, nobody volunteered.

"Sir, sir, Darren sings pretty well." Jessie raised.
"Huh?" I could see he acted surprised.
"River and him could do the duet!" Jeff added.
"Oh yeah, River was a soprano in her high school choir." Jessie smiled.

"Oh." Darren looked at me.
"Do you want to do it?" I asked.
"What about you?"
"Maybe?"

We got the part. I was happy. I really wanted to sing. But I felt Darren's hesitation. He didn't say anything.

"Hey, Why don't I do the solo so Fairy and you could do the duet?" I suggested.
"Neat, very." His face brightened. "Yeah, I'll go tell Fairy."

They never gave me an answer. And the day of the contest came. We didn't do anything.

"Well, what a waste." Jeffery commented. "And you could've top it."
"Yeah? well, Darren doesn't really want to sing..." I sighed. "With me, that is."
"He told me that, too." Jeff confessed. "He doesn't like you."

I was surprised. but I had to say something.

"Hmm? Well, boastful as he is. I don't like him too."

Van was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment